Near beautiful and sunny Bukhara, just five kilometers away, among the fields, in the shade of mulberry trees, there is a place that called the City of the Dead. But the real name of this sightseeing is Chor-Bakr Necropolis. Once, thousands years ago, nearby there was a small settlement of the dervishes. Then appeared the first burial. However, the historical architectural ensemble, which has reached our days it is often visited by millions of tourists and pilgrims which was built in the 16th century.
During the reign of the Samanid dynasty in Bukhara, there was a family of Djuybarsksids, who were descendants of the prophet Muhammad. This family was respected, and its members occupied an important place in the life of the city. And they were buried in this rural cemetery.
A ruler from sheybanid dynasty – Abdullakhan II decided to build the funerary complex, thus he wanted to preserve the name of his teacher Djuybar of Sheikh Khodja Muhammad Islam for centuries. Construction was completed in 1563, and in the same year the Sheikh died.
30 years after Muhammad Islam’s death, his son Hodge BakrZayd died and he was buried next to his father. In consequence here were buried the rest of his family. The cemetery has received the name Chor-Bakr, which translates as Four brothers, because in one of Haziras was buried four men, who carried the title “Bakr” (brother).
Chor-Bakr is really unusual, mysterious place. While visiting Chor-Bakr, it is impossible not to feel breath of the world of the dead, where in the silence of the alleys, thoughts of life and transience of human life pass involuntarily.